Discover your inside story. Save 20% on Ancestry DNA April 21-26

June 19, 2017

Rescued Funeral Card Louis Burmister age 22

Original Funeral Card owned by Lorine McGinnis Schulze
This is another rescued Funeral Card. Louis Burmister was a young man with his whole life ahead of him when he died in 1886.

His Funeral Card reads:

Died at Collingwood on Monday June 21st, 1886, Louis Burmister, aged 22 years and 9 months.

Funeral will leave the family residence, Cedar Street on Thursday June 24th at 1:30 p.m for the Dunkerd Cemetery.

After rescuing this card from a flea market I wanted to give Louis a voice. I began my search at Ancestry. 9 year old Lewis (sic) is found in the 1871 census for Puslinch Township Wellington County Ontario with his rather large family of parents Ludwig (54) and Fredericka (33) and his 5 siblings ages 2 to 13.

Anyone interested in having this Funeral Card can contact me by leaving a comment on this blog post. Be sure to provide your email address.

2 comments:

Colleen G. Brown Pasquale said...

I wonder if funeral cards were affordable for the average family? Some of my rural families seemed to have little extra income for anything besides the basics.

Lorine McGinnis Schulze said...

I can't say for sure of course but having a funeral card or notice was dictated by the current social norms. I suspect the money was found somehow for some kind of notice or funeral card except by the poorest of the poor.