Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

July 18, 2014

Help Return WW2 Soldier Edwin Manktelow Dog Tag - Case #22

Steve is asking for help finding a WW2 soldier or his family. Here's his email to Olive Tree Genealogy:
While out with my metal detector here in England yesterday I found my first American dog tag, although it is in 3 pieces it very clearly reads
EDWIN MANKTELOW
32585923   T43
PEARL SCHWINGEL
RT4
COHOCTON  NY
I would love to be able to return this little piece of history to Mr Manktelow (if he is still alive) or to his family but I really have no idea how to go about this, then I found you via the internet and see that you have had some great results, so any help would be very much appreciated
Lorine's notes: I'll start the ball rolling on this search with a WW2 Enlistment Record for Edwin W. Manktelow

Name: Edwin W Manktelow 
Birth Year: 1922 
Race: White, citizen (White) 
Nativity State or Country: New York 
State of Residence: New York 
County or City: Steuben 
Enlistment Date: 17 Dec 1942
Enlistment State: New York 
Enlistment City: Rochester 

The Social Security Death Index is also helpful with this entry

Name: Edwin W. Manktelow
SSN: 103-16-0110
Last Residence: 14810  Bath, Steuben, New York, USA
BORN: 14 Oct 1922
Died: 1 Apr 2003

Can my wonderful readers help find Edwin's family? Please leave information as a comment on this blog post or via email to me at olivetreegenealogy AT gmail DOT com 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Here is a link to an obituary on Ancestry.com that gives the names and cities of residence of son and daughter, as well as some grandchildren.

http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/18760021/person/28425753510/mediax/1?pgnum=1&pg=0&pgpl=pid|pgNum